Web & Mobile Developer
Us: Toolhouse is a tight-knit team of passionate developers, designers, writers and out-of-the-box thinkers with a common goal: to create uncommon digital solutions and have fun doing it. We have clients from coast to coast and in Europe - all leaders in their respective industries. We work in small teams on big projects, do great work, and have a damn good time doing it.
You: You have an innate passion for technology and coding. You love learning and trying emerging and proven technologies, platforms, and languages. When it comes to developing for the web you are an innovator, problem solver, coding neat freak, and deliverer of mind-blowing-techno-magic, all rolled up into one. You’re passionate about where technology is going and constantly helping to bridge the gap between where a client is and where they can be.
The Job: Reporting to the Vice President of Technology, you’ll be actively engaged and collaborate throughout the life of a project (discovery, visual design, interaction design, etc), and will ultimately be responsible for bringing beautiful ideas to digital life. Any day of the week you may be coding a web site, developing a mobile app, or creating an email, all while conscientiously testing your work and helping others knock through their coder’s block. By working across multiple clients and projects you will learn and try new things every day. We offer full benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 401K contribution matching.
The Location: We just remodeled an old cannery on Bellingham Bay and kept the kitsch while adding some kick. Nestled between the rugged Cascade mountains to the east and the San Juan islands to the west, we sit at the doorstep of endless outdoor fun. Do you like to snowboard? Sail? Shop? Bike? Run? Hike? Fish? Listen to live music? So do we. And that’s just on Wednesday. Bellingham is only 90 minutes from Seattle and 60 minutes from Vancouver, BC.
How do I apply?
We’re glad you asked, there are three ways to apply:
- Do you love RESTful APIs and JSON? Check out our API specification for more info at http://api.toolhouse.com to submit your application.
- Don’t despise email? Send us an e-mail to email@example.com. Include the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
- Prefer using a fax machine? This probably isn’t the job for you. I guess we lied, there are only two ways to apply.
No phone calls, please.
- Develop responsive websites & web applications (in various languages and frameworks)
- Develop native mobile applications for iOS and/or Android
- Integrate services and data using third-party APIs
- Implement web designs using standards-compliant, semantically correct HTML and CSS
- Participate in code reviews and contribute solutions to the team
- Keep up with technology trends such as web, mobile, and social, and participate in knowledge exchanges with peers
Required Skills and Experience
- A strong foundation in general programming theory, fundamental programming concepts and patterns.
- Experience building advanced web applications
- Native application development for Android and/or iOS
- Real world experience with relational database design and building database-driven web applications
- Ability to integrate with third-party APIs and web services
- Advanced, standards-compliant HTML and CSS development
- Passion for learning languages, frameworks, and other technologies
- Ability to work individually and within a team environment
- Ability to accept feedback, effectively articulate your technical decisions, and participate in group problem-solving
- Ability to focus and work under pressure in the event of tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills with internal and external audiences
- Humor, tact, and professionalism
- Responsive web design techniques
- Experience with emerging HTML5 and related technologies
- Experience with NoSQL database systems
- Ability to work within Adobe Creative Suite (primary focus on Illustrator & Photoshop)
- Working with development collaboration tools (source control, continuous integration/deployment, issue tracking, etc)